In 1927, James Buchanan Duke inspired his architectural team with this simple philosophy: an exceptional university must look the part. So, they dug in—literally—at a local quarry to mine stones so distinctive, they’d became known simply as Duke stone. Today, Duke University’s striking neo-Gothic buildings stand in celebration of the master stone masons who hand-cut each stone to expose its brilliant mix of colors. Their roofing had to be just as striking, with the same level of craftsmanship and meticulous attention to color. It’s no wonder they chose Ludowici.